Families Change Kids Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


Jeremy: Sometimes people go to a mediatorA person who does mediation, and helps people agree about things for help with all the decisions they have to make when they decide not to live together.

Mediators have special training to help people make decisions when they can’t agree. This is called mediationA way of helping people agree about things.

If your parents use mediation to help with their decisions, they will meet with the mediator a few times at his or her office.

With the help of a mediator, they may be able to agree on custody and access, child supportThe money one parent has to pay the other parent to help pay for the things kids need, property divisionWhen people who separate split up the things they own and other things.

If your parents can’t agree, they will have to go to court and a judge will make the decisions.